Sunday, January 5, 2014

Projects


Today I completed my daughter's yard apron.  Yesterday I completed mine.  The purpose of the aprons is to have a place to keep your seed packets, tools, pad & paper, clippers, and other items at hand without having to remember where you left the bucket full of everything and without having to set it down while you do another task and hope you remember to go back and retrieve it later.


I found a jumper made of pansy fabric at a yard sale and got the jumper for the fabric.  The striped denim came fro a thrift store.  I took the jumper apart and reused the patch pockets and bodice in my apron.  The placket I used on the top of my notebook pocket.  I used part of the skirt for the bottom ruffle and the ties.  There are a total of 7 pockets, including one for pens/pencils & one for a notebook.  I added a couple of utility loops like you find on painter's pants to hang my hand rake and trowel.  I am looking forward to spring when I can get in the dirt with it and see how well it will work for me.

My daughter's was made from a old fabric sample (burlap) and a tired floral sheet.  I added a couple of pockets, a couple of utility loops, and belt loops for a ribbon tie.  I plan to give it to her for Easter, along with a trip to the local nursery to pick her plants for her planter.

I didn't use a pattern for either one, I just made it up as I went.  Mostly I tore strips and stitched things together.  Did you know denim strips at an angle?  I know now.  It has to do with the weave.

Have you ever made anything without a pattern?

No comments:

Post a Comment