Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Making a commitment - Week 4

The wagon has been careening down the road, dragging me behind it.  While it has been 2 weeks since I last wrote, I have continued to go to my yoga classes followed by swimming, but my diet has been less than stellar.  I came in at 311, but my pants feel baggier.  I feel like a chicken with my head cut off, running wildly through the yard without making any specific progress.  Ever have one or two of those weeks?  Time to grab myself by the bootstraps, get a grip on the rope dragging me, and haul my cookies back up on that wagon.

Speaking of chickens, since my Barred Rock rooster valiantly fought and lost his life to a hawk to protect his ladies, I have been without a man about the coop.  This past Friday I was able to pick up this new-to-us American rooster from a friend who needed to relocate his ornery feather fiend.  The rooster settled right in with the ladies and is steadily adjusting to the new pecking order.  He is a beauty, but still a little big for his britches.

There is still a little frost in the air most evenings, but the days are growing longer and my thoughts are turning towards spring.  My raised beds are in the process of getting hardware cloth attached to their bottoms.  The moles have been way to happy to feast on my gardens in the past and I am reluctant to continue sharing the fruits of my labors.  Let them grow their own garden.  Soon my fruit trees should be arriving, followed by seed potatoes and then tomato starts.  I can hardly wait to dig my hands into the earth and sow my seeds.

Don't forget, "Anyone can handle a crisis.  It's the day-to-day living that takes the most strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment